‘Can you wake me up with a bagpipe alarm?’ Hotel staff reveal the strangest requests they’ve had from guests in 2019
- Travelodge reveals the most bizarre demands from guests in the past 12 months
- Requests include a herd of sheep to help a guest fall asleep to a bed for a Vespa
- A trend for ever-more creative wedding proposals has also led to weird requests
It may be true that the customer is always right, but there are some requests that are a little trickier to accommodate than others, as staff across the nation’s Travelodge hotels can attest.
The most bizarre guest requests from the past year have been revealed, ranging from wanting a spare bed for a Vespa motor scooter to asking for a herd of sheep outside a window to help a guest fall asleep.
Travelodge said other strange demands included wanting a full moon to be arranged during a stay and asking staff to babysit some baby chicks.
‘Can you teach me how to play golf in 30 minutes?’ asked a Travelodge guest earlier this year
One business guest asked if it would be possible for a water taxi to take his boss from Dover to Paris.
Shakila Ahmed of Travelodge said: ‘Annually we welcome around 19 million customers at our 570 hotels dotted around the UK, and our hotel teams receive thousands of interesting requests from business and leisure guests.
‘Where possible, our hotel teams will go above and beyond to help customers as they relish a good challenge. However there are some requests beyond their control, such as stopping traffic on the M5, getting the Northern Lights to make an appearance, and getting a herd of sheep as a sleep aid.
Travelodge welcomes 19 million guests per year. Pictured is one of its hotels in Shropshire
‘Over the past 12 months, our hotel teams have reported a rise in customer requests to help with wedding proposals. Requests have included a customer asking for a unicorn pedal boat and for a rainbow to appear above the hotel for a wedding proposal at Thurrock Travelodge.
‘The team at Rhyl Travelodge were asked to set up a romantic candlelit dinner on Rhyl beach with a path of red rose petals from the hotel to the table.
‘At Leamington Spa Travelodge the hotel team were tasked to get a full moon outside the customer’s room window in order to create a moonlight setting.’
Odd guest requests in the past year
Some of the strangest things Travelodge staff have been asked during the past 12 months include:
- Can you wake me up with a bagpipe alarm?
- Can you fill my room with bouquets of Thistle flowers? I want to create a romantic Scottish setting as I am going to propose to my girlfriend.
- Where can I pick some fresh haggis?
- Can you get Aberdeen steak and create a luxurious bunk bed for my Scottie dogs Laddie and Lassie?
- Where is the best place to see neeps and tatties in their natural habitat?
- Where is the best place to get the best Edinburgh tattoo?
- We are getting married at Gretna, can you be my boyfriend’s best man?
- Do I need to have to have a fringe to attend the festival?
- Can you record my company’s hold message in a Sean Connery accent?
- Can you teach me how to play golf in 30 minutes?
- Can you ensure the Northern Lights pass the hotel tonight?