A Dubai desert barbecue and camel ride trip has been named by Tripadvisor as its No1 experience, with a pizza and gelato cooking class in a Tuscan farmhouse in second place.
They have both been honoured in the 2020 Travellers’ Choice Experiences awards, with the Harry Potter Walking Tour for Muggles in London claiming the top spot in the UK ranking and the Chicago Architecture River Cruise snaring the same accolade in the U.S.
The top-ranked Dubai experience, which costs from £46 ($59), is a half-day tour where guests can take part in sandboarding and dune bashing. The day is rounded off with dinner and a live performance, with previous guests describing the experience as a ‘fab day out’ and ‘the best tour ever’.
A Dubai desert barbecue and camel ride trip has been named by Tripadvisor as its No1 experience in the world
The Harry Potter Walking Tour for Muggles in London claims the top spot in the Tripadvisor UK ranking of the best travel experiences
The rest of the top five experiences in the world ranking comprises an Amsterdam canal cruise in a luxury open boat (third), the Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour (fourth) and the Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip from Dublin, which includes a visit to Giant’s Causeway (fifth).
The top-ranked UK experience sees muggles taken to the real-life London locations that inspired Harry Potter film sets such as Diagon Alley, the Leaky Cauldron, and the Ministry of Magic. One reviewer rated the £18 ($23) tour as ‘fantastic’ while another said it was ‘highly entertaining’.
Scottish experiences claim three out of the top five spots in the UK ranking with the Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands Small-Group Day Tour from Edinburgh in second place, the Edinburgh Darkside Walking Tour: Mysteries, Murder and Legends in third and the Skip-the-Line Edinburgh Castle Walking Tour coming fourth. In fifth spot is the Oxford University Walking Tour With University Alumni Guide.
TRIPADVISOR’S BEST TRAVEL EXPERIENCES 2020
1. Premium Red Dunes & Camel Safari with BBQ at Al Khayma Camp – Dubai from £46
2. Pizza and Gelato Cooking Class in Tuscan Farmhouse – Florence from £64
3. Luxury Small-Group Canal Cruise in Open-Air Boat – Amsterdam from £16
4. Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour – from £9
5. Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip Including Giant’s Causeway from Dublin – from £60
1. Harry Potter Walking Tour for Muggles in London – from £18
2. Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands Small-Group Day Tour from Edinburgh – from £48
3. Edinburgh Darkside Walking Tour: Mysteries, Murder and Legends – from £13
4. Skip-the-Line Edinburgh Castle Walking Tour – from £35
5. Oxford University Walking Tour With University Alumni Guide – from £18
A pizza and gelato cooking class in a Tuscan farmhouse claims second place in the worldwide ranking
The third best travel experience in the world has been named as an Amsterdam canal cruise in a luxury open boat
Tripadvisor says the second-best experience in the UK is the Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands Small-Group Day Tour from Edinburgh
The Edinburgh Darkside Walking Tour: Mysteries, Murder and Legends is third in the UK experiences ranking
Meanwhile, in the U.S, the top-ranked Chicago cruise sees guests taken by boat along the Chicago River while learning about the city’s most famous buildings, including the Willis Tower and the Wrigley Building. Prices for the tour start from £28 ($36), with one reviewer writing ‘I cannot say enough about how amazing this was’ while another called it an ‘awesome experience’.
The rest of the top five U.S Tripadvisor experiences list comprises the Skip-Line Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Tour (second), the New York in One Day Guided Sightseeing Tour (third), Charleston’s Old South Carriage Historic Tour (fourth) and the Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter Tour (fifth).
There were also gongs for amusement parks and water parks.
TRIPADVISOR’S BEST U.S TRAVEL EXPERIENCES 2020
1. Chicago Architecture River Cruise – from $36
2. Skip-Line Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Tour – from $52
3. New York in One Day Guided Sightseeing Tour – from $93
4. Charleston’s Old South Carriage Historic Horse & Carriage Tour – from $35
5. Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter Tour, Las Vegas – from $433
6. Full-Day Iconic Sights of LA, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the Beaches and More – from $93
7. DC At Dusk Night Tour – from $60
8. Beneath The Streets Underground History Tour, Seattle – from $30
9. New Orleans Swamp and Bayou Boat Tour – from $57
10. Gangsters and Ghosts Tour in Chicago – from $27
The top-ranked travel experience in the U.S is the Chicago Architecture River Cruise, where guests learn about the city’s most famous buildings
Second in the U.S ranking is the Skip-Line Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Tour
The New York in One Day Guided Sightseeing Tour is third in the U.S ranking
Scooping the title for best amusement park is Florida’s Magic Kingdom, with historical theme park Puy du Fou, in western France, in second place.
Top spot on the UK amusement park podium is occupied by Paultons Park in Romsey, home of Peppa Pig World, with The Milky Way Adventure Park in Clovelly, Devon, the runner-up.
Siam Park in Tenerife wins the title of the best water park in the world and the best in Europe.
Speaking about the awards – which are determined using an algorithm that analyses a business’s reviews, opinions and popularity with travellers over the past year – Ben Drew, president of Viator, the platform that powers Tripadvisor’s bookable experiences, said: ‘Viator’s global partnership with Tripadvisor ensures that more of the incredible experiences bookable on our site are also available to the world.
TRIPADVISOR’S BEST AMUSEMENT AND WATER PARKS 2020
Best amusement parks in the world
1. Magic Kingdom Park – Orlando, Florida
2. Puy du Fou – Les Epesses, France
3. Universal’s Islands of Adventure – Orlando, Florida
4. Disney’s Animal Kingdom – Orlando, Florida
5. Universal Studios Florida
Best amusement parks in the UK
1. Paultons Park – Romsey
2. The Milky Way Adventure Park – Clovelly, Devon
3. Adventure Island – Southend-on-Sea
4. Sundown Adventureland – Retford, Nottinghamshire
5. Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Best water parks in the world
1. Siam Park – Tenerife
2. Waterbom Bali – Kuta, Indonesia
3. Atlantis Aquaventure Waterpark – Dubai
4. Aqua Dome – Tralee, Ireland
5. Aquapark Istralandia – Novigrad, Croatia
Best water parks in Europe
1. Siam Park – Tenerife
2. Aqua Dome – Tralee, Ireland
3. Aquapark Istralandia – Novigrad, Croatia
4. Aqualand Corfu Water Park – Greece
5. Water Park – Rhodes, Greece
Scooping the title for best amusement park in the world is Florida’s Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World
Top spot on the UK amusement park podium is occupied by Paultons Park in Romsey, home of Peppa Pig World
Siam Park in Tenerife wins the title of best water park in the world and the best in Europe
‘No one simply travels to a destination to stay in their hotel room and calls it memorable.
‘Viator and Tripadvisor give more travellers the opportunity to experience the richness that a destination can offer, making memories that will last a lifetime – whether you’re sandboarding in the Arabian desert, or making pizza in a Tuscan farmhouse.
‘This year’s winners illustrate travellers’ appreciation for experiences that are truly unforgettable, and that they’ll remember and talk about for years to come.’