Seeing the Northern Lights, travelling on the Orient Express and going to Chernobyl are among the most sought-after travel experiences.
That’s according to a ‘travel dreams’ poll of UK adults, with beholding the natural light display predominantly seen in high-latitude regions topping the list.
Driving Route 66 (3rd), walking along the Great Wall of China (4th) and paying respects at Auschwitz (7th) also feature in the top 50 list as does going on safari in Africa (5th) and cruising around the Caribbean (6th).
A ‘travel dreams’ poll of UK adults revealed that seeing the Northern Lights is the No1 bucket list item
The study, by Lottoland, also found a trip to Walt Disney World Resort in Florida (8th), a stay in an over-water bungalow in the Maldives (9th) and a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon (10th) are on the average person’s travel wish list.
Many want to see Japan’s Mount Fuji (11th) and Easter Island (27th) as well as climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris (23rd).
Animal lovers want to swim with sea turtles in Hawaii (22nd), bathe elephants in Thailand (42nd), visit the orangutan sanctuary in Borneo (19th) and see the puffins on Lundy Island (48th).
Those craving action and adventure want to scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef (32nd), swim with dolphins in Orlando (33rd) and camp in the Rocky Mountains (46th).
However, the research, which quizzed 2,000 people, also showed that the average UK adult has only managed to tick off three ‘dream’ trips so far.
It also emerged the average adult reckons they’ll achieve 11 of their desired destinations before they’re unable to travel anymore.
Travelling on the Orient Express, pictured, is second on the list of the most sought-after travel experiences
Almost half are proactive in ticking items off their travel bucket list, with seven in 10 adults open to new experiences.
However, despite four in 10 claiming they are ‘well-travelled’ – just seven per cent of Britons have visited more than five continents to date.
The study also found that while beach breaks are still popular for a fifth of adults, 19 per cent like to explore new cities.
Eleven days is considered the perfect length of time to be away on holiday, and despite the desire to try something new, an overwhelming 77 per cent of adults have been known to return to the same holiday destination.
The third most sought-after travel experience is driving Route 66 in America
However, Britons do want to try new things but 53 per cent claim a lack of money is holding them back from travelling to more exotic destinations.
A further 16 per cent of those polled, via OnePoll, say they have too many responsibilities to travel the world, while 19 per cent don’t have time to plan an adventurous holiday.
A spokeswoman for Lottoland said: ‘Most British adults have a travel bucket list – those experiences they want to tick off before they die.
‘Travelling to far-flung destinations and experiencing some of what the wonderful world has to offer has become more popular than ever before.
‘Britons are now ditching traditional sunny beach holidays in favour of more remote destinations which offer never-before-seen activities, sights and scenery.’
Now Lottoland customers are being given the chance to win a luxury round-the-world trip and a once-in-a-lifetime chance to drop in on all their dream destinations in its Passport to Paradise competition.
The research showed that the average UK adult has only managed to tick off three ‘dream’ trips so far. Pictured is Chernobyl, a destination that also made the top 50 list
A spokeswoman added: ‘This study demonstrates how much Britons want to see, experience and soak up other cultures and sights.
‘Sometimes real life, and in particular a lack of money, can get in the way of making these holidays happen.
‘For some, having an exotic trip miles away can seem like a pipe-dream.’
To find out more about the Passport to Paradise prize draw visit www.lottoland.co.uk/passport
TOP 50 MOST SOUGHT-AFTER TRAVEL EXPERIENCES
1. See the Northern Lights
2. Travel on the Orient Express
3. Drive Route 66
4. Walk along the Great Wall of China
5. Go on safari in Africa
6. Go on a cruise around the Caribbean
7. Pay your respects at Auschwitz
8. Go to Disneyworld in Florida
9. Stay in an over-water bungalow in the Maldives
10. Have a ride in a helicopter over the Grand Canyon
11. See Mount Fuji in Japan
12. Go island hopping in Greece
13. Visit the Seven Wonders of the World
14. Go to a casino in Las Vegas
15. See a bear in Canada
16. Swim in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland
17. See Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii
18. Travel anywhere on a first class private jet
19. Visit the orangutan sanctuary in Borneo
20. Step foot on all seven continents
21. Climb Machu Picchu
22. Swim with Sea Turtles in Hawaii
23. Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower
24. Go whale watching in California
25. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge
26. See icebergs in Greenland
27. Visit Easter Island
28. Stay in an ice hotel in Norway
29. Visit the Hobbit set in New Zealand
30. Float in the Dead Sea
31. Eat in a Michelin starred restaurant on holiday
32. Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reef
33. Swim with dolphins in Orlando
34. Visit Ayers Rock/Uluru
35. See Christ the Redeemer in Brazil
36. Visit the WWII Battlefields
37. See Father Christmas in Lapland
38. Drive the Pacific Coast Highway
39. Travel alone just for the experience (not work)
40. Climb the Empire State Building
41. See a performance at the Sydney Opera House
42. Bathe elephants in Thailand
43. Visit Chernobyl
44. Stay in Dubai’s underwater hotel
45. Climb Table Mountain in South Africa
46. Camp in the Rocky Mountains
47. Watch sea turtles hatch in Borneo
48. See the puffins on Lundy Island
49. Go to Dubrovnik to see the Game of Thrones set
50. Go fishing in Alaska